Paused

Heavy ransom: Bandits demand N3bn to free Kwara churchgoers

3 min read

The bandits who abducted worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100m ransom per victim.

According to the pastor in charge of the church, Lawrence Bamidele, between 30 and 35 worshippers were abducted in the Tuesday evening violent attack during the church’s service.

Multiple family sources and community leaders confirmed on Thursday that the kidnappers had commenced contacting relatives of the victims, using the phones of the abductees.

The Secretary of the CAC assembly, Elder Josiah Agbabiaka, told news correspondents that some families had already been reached by the abductors.

“It is true that the bandits have started contacting family members using the victims’ phones to demand ransom,” Agbabiaka said.

“From what we were told, they grouped the victims. The first group of 11 people has been asked to pay N100m each.”
Also confirming the development, the Olori Eta of Eruku, Chief Olusegun Olukotun, whose four family members were among those abducted, said the kidnappers were reaching out systematically.

“Some people in the community have received calls from the kidnappers demanding N100m for each person. They said the victims were grouped, and they are calling each group’s relatives,” he told newsmen.

Olukotun, who narrated that he was inside the church with five members of his family during the attack, said he managed to escape through a window while others were taken away.

Meanwhile, the traditional ruler of the town, Owa of Eruku, Oba Busari Olarewaju, has appealed for urgent government intervention to ensure the safe rescue of the victims.

The monarch commended the swift deployment of military personnel to the community following the visit of the state governor, but stressed that more needed to be done.

“Last night, soldiers entered our community minutes after the governor visited. Their presence gave us some assurance that the government is responding,” the monarch said.

“But we are still appealing that efforts should be intensified to rescue our people as quickly as possible.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Kwara State Command, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, said the command had not received any official report of ransom demand.

“We are not aware of any demand for ransom or contact made to the family members of the victims,” she said when contacted on Thursday.

“Our tactical teams, alongside the military and other security agencies, are on ground and making concerted efforts to rescue the abducted victims.”

Ejire-Adeyemi added that the Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, had urged community members and relatives of the abducted persons to provide timely information that could aid the operation.

“The CP assures residents that the police will continue to do everything possible to secure lives and property in Kwara State,” she added.

The attack on the Eruku church is the latest in a series of violent incidents that have rattled communities across Kwara State in recent months.

The recent incidents have heightened fears over the growing reach of banditry in Kwara, a state historically considered one of the safer in the North-Central region.

CAN condemns attack

On Thursday, the Christian Association of Nigeria condemned the Kwara church attack, describing it as “a heartbreaking reminder of the growing insecurity facing Christian communities across the country.”

Share This Article