Paused

Borno gov vows safe return of 48 abducted school children

3 min read

The Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has assured residents of Mussa community in Askira Uba Local Government Area, where terrorists abducted 48 school children, that all efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the victims.

The governor gave the assurance on Tuesday during a visit to Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren.

Addressing the gathering, the governor conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the unfortunate incident.

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum said.

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces, and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he assured.

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of the security situation in the area.

He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer, and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.

Governor Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents. “We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.

The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents. He further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.

The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state, and supporting the emirate.

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor’s visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.

Share This Article

WREEL PIZZA

PIZZA fixes everything. Enjoy a finger-licking meal. One bite and you’ll believe in love at first slice.