Paused

EFCC releases mugshots of ex-power minister Mamman after arrest

2 min read

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has released the mugshots of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, following his arrest by operatives of the anti-graft agency.

Mamman, who was recently convicted and sentenced by a Federal High Court in Abuja over financial misappropriation, was apprehended in the early hours of Tuesday after weeks of surveillance by the commission.

In the photos released by the EFCC, the former minister was seen in handcuffs and holding a booking board after his arrest.

He is currently being detained in the agency’s custody pending further legal proceedings.

Speaking at a press conference at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, the commission’s chairman, Ola Olukoyede, confirmed the arrest and disclosed that the former minister was arrested in Kaduna State alongside two persons allegedly shielding him.

According to Olukoyede, the property where Mamman was arrested is also under investigation by the agency.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman,” he said.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced Mamman to 75 years imprisonment in absentia after finding him guilty on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and fraud involving N33.8 billion. 

The funds were linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects under the Ministry of Power.

Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in handcuffs. Photo: EFCC

Olukoyede described the arrest as proof of the Federal Government’s determination to tackle corruption and recover public funds.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished,” he said.

“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” the EFCC chairman added.

He further assured Nigerians that the commission would continue to pursue corruption cases involving both public officials and private individuals.

“We are working. There is no area that we will not go into. We will not leave any area untouched just to ensure that we fulfil our mandate,” Olukoyede stated.

“We will uphold our mandate and ensure that everyone, whether private or public, will be investigated and brought to court,” he said.

Share This Article

Header 2

WREEL PIZZA

PIZZA fixes everything. Enjoy a finger-licking meal. One bite and you’ll believe in love at first slice.