Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau following a military coup that toppled the country’s government, the Federal Government confirmed on Thursday.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told journalists in Abuja, “Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau. He left with a special flight with members of his delegation, including Mohamed Chambas.”
Jonathan had been in Guinea-Bissau leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission during last Sunday’s presidential and legislative elections when the military announced it had seized power.
Earlier, the House of Representatives urged President Bola Tinubu’s government to take urgent diplomatic action to ensure Jonathan’s safety.
Deputy Speaker, Benjamin Kalu, highlighted the matter during plenary, describing it as an “important emergency.”
House Leader, Prof. Julius Ihonvbere, briefed lawmakers, noting Jonathan’s extensive experience as an election observer in countries including Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ghana, Mozambique, Pakistan, Tanzania, and South Africa.
He said, “Currently, he is trapped in Guinea-Bissau because of the coup. From my own investigations, the government is aware and they are doing everything possible to get him back as quickly and safely as possible. Our goal is to urge the government not to relent in that effort to use all diplomatic means to get a former president, a true democrat, back to Nigeria immediately.”
Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda, also supported the call, describing Jonathan as “one of the best civilian presidents” Nigeria has produced.
He added, “The importance we attach to his life should also be attached to the life of every other Nigerian, whether a former president or not, whether at home or abroad.
That said, I fully support that the government should do everything possible to ensure that former President Jonathan returns home safely.”
Following the discussion, the House unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Federal Government to activate all necessary diplomatic channels for Jonathan’s immediate evacuation.
On Wednesday, military officers in Guinea-Bissau declared they had seized “total control” of the country, arresting incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló, suspending the electoral process, and shutting the country’s borders.
The military cited “national instability,” “electoral irregularities,” and the need to restore order.
Heavy gunfire was reported near the presidential palace, soldiers blocked major access routes, and a curfew was imposed.
The National Electoral Commission reported being attacked by unidentified armed men.